to Prepare for Your Shift
Over 90 volunteers from Las Vegas and across the country will donate their time and talents to the successful execution of all ACM events including the 53rd ACM Awards, ACM Party for a Cause events, and the Lifting Lives Topgolf Tee-Off.
Led by a team of veteran ACM Volunteer Leads and Captains, our volunteers will be placed in roles including information booths, ACM hosts, runners, credential distribution, rehearsal monitors, production, and everything in between.
ORIENTATION & SHIRT PICK-UP
This website serves as a virtual orientation and we expect you to arrive for your first shift having thoroughly read through this website and its contents. However, we also hope you can join us for a fun hour of learning more about your upcoming ACM volunteer experience, meeting the volunteer leadership team and fellow ACM volunteers, and receiving your t-shirts and credentials.
2018 ACM Volunteer Orientation
Thursday, April 12
Arrive at 6:45 (credential and shirt distribution)
Orientation Time: 7:00 - 8:00pm
MGM Grand Garden Arena
Meet at the ACM Credential Desk near Blizz Frozen Yogurt and Desserts at MGM Grand at 6:45pm. You will then be escorted to the meeting room in Grand Garden Arena promptly at 7:00pm.
If you CANNOT attend, please email email@example.com IN ADVANCE and directions will be sent on how to receive your credentials and shirts prior to your first shift.
FROM THE MGM GRAND FRONT DESK
Walk into the Casino and at turn right just past Lobby Bar. Continue past Concierge towards KA Box Office. Pass Wolfgang Puck and turn right, towards the District. Continue through the District past PUB 1842. Blizz will be on your left just before you reach Grand Garden Arena.
FROM THE STRIP
Enter the resort from Las Vegas Boulevard. Walk towards Centrifuge and stay to the left passing The Buffet. Continue through the Casino, passing Jabbawockeez Theater. Walk towards Avenue Café. Continue past CRUSH. Turn right when you reach L’atelier and continue through the Casino towards the District. Continue through the District past PUB 1842. Blizz will be on your left just before you reach Grand Garden Arena.
GETTING YOUR SCHEDULE
You will receive your assignments and schedule the week of April 9 and should plan on arriving for your shift 15 - 20 minutes prior to the posted time. Please take traffic, transportation, or parking into account. There is not designated volunteer parking at any of our venues; so if driving, please plan your parking strategy in advance.
Unless you have made prior arrangements with Sheri, All Volunteers will be scheduled to work on Friday 4/13, Saturday 4/14, and Sunday 4/15. Please keep your schedule clear for those days.
In order to access your schedule, a link to your InitLive account will be emailed to you. InitLive will contain your schedule, pdfs of important documents, and will serve as a main communication tool for the volunteer team. Instructions on how to activate your account will be mailed when schedules are released. It is very easy to use; however, we'd be happy to provide one-on-one assistance.
We will use InitLive as our main communication tool to share pdf documents, send broadcast messages, update work schedules, and to check you in and out from your shift. Much of the information on this website will also be available on the app once we "go live" the week of April 9.
Messages, documents, and scheduling changes will be updated throughout the day. If you do not have a smartphone with the InitLive app installed, you should received text messages with any scheduling changes.
DRESS CODE/WHAT TO WEAR
You will be issued two short-sleeve ACM Volunteer shirts. Unless otherwise directed you will wear these shirts for all of your shifts. Proper attire while wearing your shirt includes jeans, pants, skirts, or shorts as long as your clothes are in good condition (clean, no holes, appropriate length, etc).
Some volunteers may be issued a radio – consider wearing a belt so your pants don’t fall down!
You may also want to bring a small, pocket-sized USB portable phone battery charger so you can always stay connected via InitLive. Also remember to bring cash or a credit card for meal breaks.
Many shifts at the MGM Grand on Sunday, April 15 will require dress clothes. If your shift requires dress clothes, it will be indicated in InitLive. If you have any doubts, please feel free to ask a Volunteer Lead, Captain, or at the Volunteer office at MGM Grand Garden Arena.
WHAT TO PACK
Footwear: Comfortable shoes are a must! You could be on your feet for extended periods of time. For your safety, all shoes must be closed-toe.
Dress Clothes: If traveling from out of town, please pack at least one “dressier” option. You never know where you may be assigned at the last minute. Shifts for the Awards and special events often call for more professional attire – dress shirt, nice slacks, dresses...basically something you would feel proud to wear in front of VIPs. Again – make sure your shoes are comfortable. Assume you should wear your ACM shirt unless mentioned in the job description in InitLive. Your Leads and Captains can also answer any dress code questions you may have for a particular shift.
Weather: Be prepared for any type of weather! This could include sunglasses, sunscreen, rain jacket/poncho, and dressing in layers for cool Vegas nights. Some assignments are outdoors and/or in the early morning and evening.
Logos and auxiliary clothing: You may carry a bag (small backpack, purse, crosspack, or waist/fanny pack), wear a hat, or wear a long-sleeve shirt under your uniform shirt. Due to sponsor agreements, bags and clothing items may not display any logo other than official ACM merchandise.
Free Time: Bring clothes to wear when you are not working. It is strictly prohibited to wear your Volunteer shirt or credentials when you are off-duty. This includes turning your shirt inside-out. If you are wearing your shirt and/or credentials, it means you are working as a representative of the Academy of Country Music.
Prior to April 13: Contact Sheri via email or our Facebook group
April 13-15: Contact your Volunteer Lead or Captain. You will be able to communicate with your venue lead directly from the InitLive app.
ACM Volunteer Daily News: Each morning from April 13-April 15, the ACM Volunteer Daily News pdf will be sent by 10am via InitLive. It will include special notes for the day, any schedule updates, and other information to help make your day a success.
Seek Solutions. Be proactive. Ask questions! “I don’t know” is never an acceptable answer for our guests. Better answer? “That’s a great question. Let me find out that answer for you”. If you have learned something that might be valuable for other volunteers to know, please let your Volunteer Lead or Captain know so we can share it via InitLive or the Daily News.
SOCIAL MEDIA GUIDELINES
We encourage you to share your ACM experience with friends and family. However, the Academy has established some simple guidelines for posting on any form of social media.
- Do not post or allow in a photograph any part of the issued credentials.
- Photographs that you take at locations which can be accessed by the general public are okay to post. If you are in an area that the general public cannot access, you should not be taking photos. As you may have access to exclusive locations, events, etc., there will be no posting on any social media any photos, stories, videos, etc. that arise from these opportunities. Anything behind-the-scenes is off limits for sharing. ALWAYS use good taste and ask your Lead or Captain if in doubt.
- You may be privy to information that has not yet been announced to the general public, you are never allowed to share this information in any way.
- There is no posting of video from Academy events, no live streaming, and at no time any photographs or videos from rehearsals.
- Please do not allow your social media networking and posting to interfere in any way with your work commitments.
- Although you represent the Academy, please direct ALL media inquiries to the appropriate staff.
- Always feel free to share, retweet, reblog, etc. any or all of the Academy’s social media posts. And don’t forget hashtags!
- ACM Party for a Cause: #ACMparty
- Awards: #ACMawards
VOLUNTEER BREAKS & HOSPITALITY
Your Volunteer Lead or Captain will assign break times during your shift.
All volunteers are responsible for their own meals, but light snacks and water will be provided throughout your shift. Please plan on bringing a snack, lunch, or cash/credit card to purchase meals or specialty beverages (soda, coffee, etc) during your break.
SAFETY & BEHAVIOR
- SAFETY: If you have any safety or security concerns during your shift - either for your own safety or others - contact your Captain or Lead immediately. This may include potential safety/tripping hazards; suspicious objects, behavior, or activities; accidents or injuries; or any other concern. For any shift or event that you are assigned, make sure you identify the exits and egress points. Further safety training will be covered at our volunteer orientation.
- ALCOHOL AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE: You must arrive for your shift substance-free and remain so throughout your shift. Even if you are not working, you must never drink alcohol in your ACM shirt or credential.
- ACCREDITATION: If you are issued a credential, you must wear it for all shifts and will not be allowed venue access without it. Posting photos of your credential to social media is grounds for immediate revocation of your accreditation and removal from the volunteer program.
- VENUE ACCESS: Wristbands and credentials are a privilege and essential for your position. If you are not assigned to work in a certain area or zone, you should not be there. Any abuse or inappropriate use of your access with result in immediately removal from the volunteer program.
READY TO WORK CHECKLIST
BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE/HOTEL
- Prepare: We expect for you to arrive well-rested, with a full stomach, and ready to work!
- Open: Open InitLive on your desktop or phone to check for schedule changes, read the ACM Volunteer Daily News (issued by 10am each day), or receive messages
- Wear: Your uniform shirt, comfortable, closed-toe shoes, credential (if issued a credential)
- Bring: Money for your meal break, pen (and small tablet of paper if you like to take notes), fully charged smartphone with InitLive app and phone charger/portable charger
ARRIVING AT THE VENUE
- Arrive 15-20 minutes prior to your scheduled time
-Consider traffic, parking, and walking time when planning your arrival
-If you are late, message your Volunteer Lead via InitLive
-The time on your schedule is the time you should be at your post
- Check-in with your Volunteer Lead
-If you are having problems accessing the venue, contact your Lead via InitLive
DURING YOUR SHIFT
- Take your breaks! Your Volunteer Lead or Captain will schedule your breaks. Please take them to eat, hydrate, enjoy the event, or take a quiet moment away from the action.
- Check InitLive. Messages, documents, and scheduling changes will be updated throughout the day. If you do not have a smartphone, your Volunteer Lead can assist.
- Seek Solutions. Be proactive. Ask questions! “I don’t know” is never an acceptable answer for our guests. Better answer? “That’s a great question. Let me find out that answer for you”. If you have learned something that might be valuable for other volunteers to know, please let your Volunteer Lead or Captain know so we can share it via InitLive or the Daily News.
- Please feel free to post on social media as long as it does not interfere with your position. We want you to share your experience with friends and family!
-Adhere to our social media guidelines as posted on the ACM Volunteer website.
-Never photograph, take videos, or post anything that the general public cannot see.
-When in doubt, don’t post it.
-And don’t forget hashtags! Party For A Cause: #ACMparty Awards: #ACMawards
- Have Fun!
AFTER YOUR SHIFT
- Check-out with your Lead or Captain. It is important that we know you have completed your shift and been dismissed by your Volunteer Lead.
- Do not wear your ACM shirt or credentials when you are not working. If you are enjoying an ACM event after your shift, please change clothes and remove your credential. NEVER drink alcohol while wearing your shirt or credential.